JANET G. MULHERON
Vice President, Integrated Oncology Strategy and Operations at Bristol-Myers Squibb
I am an organizationally savvy, strategic pharmaceutical executive with deep knowledge of R&D and the pharmaceutical industry. I focus on developing productive partnerships to deliver strategic imperatives.
Currently, I am Vice President, Head of Oncology Strategy & Operations at Bristol-Myers Squibb. My career in diverse leadership roles in the pharmaceutical industry has given me broad based industry knowledge. I have a robust grasp of portfolio management with deep operational knowledge
I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 609-216-2816.
I have the unique creative ability to develop, evaluate & execute the right strategy. I’m highly collaborative, a strong influencer & an effective integrator. I partner cross-functionally, building bridges & removing obstacles. I’m a catalyst who energizes and moves organizations to action.
As an effective decision maker, I balance both long- and short-term goals; I see the “Big Picture”. I easily connect the dots between strategy and execution. My versatility and adaptability allow me to stay balanced and calm under pressure, leading teams to practical solutions.
Recognized as a top performer, I’m a creative strategist, a strong communicator and an effective motivator. I am a creative, intuitive situational leader.
Vice President, Integrated Oncology Strategy and Operations
Bristol-Myers Squibb / Princeton, NJ
Provides leadership in all aspects of strategy development and execution in an Integrated Oncology development organization, managing a vibrant portfolio of transformational assets. Strategic and operational partner to the development leader running the Oncology development organization. Leads a global organization focused on Oncology drug development project management, Oncology business operations, portfolio schedule management and portfolio regional R&D Strategy and Planning (China and Japan).
- Delivered Oncology portfolio prioritization, developing investment scenarios aligned with strategic imperatives.
- Launched the Oncology Operations Team, overseeing a cross-matrix team of functional leaders to drive delivery of the Oncology pipeline: 150 on-going studies, including 75 registrational studies, across 31 compounds
- Direct responsibility for the Oncology portfolio budget of ~$1B and operating budgets of ~$100M.
- Focused on talent growth within 50 person global organization to support the changing drug development landscape. Reshaped R&D project management, elevating project managers to strategic partners, to support the new R&D vision.
- Contributed to Oncology Long Term Strategic Plan and Long-Term Financial Plan.
- Contributed to organizational redesign of Oncology leading to an integrated model between Development and Commercial. Led the development, implementation and change management of the Oncology governance model and the refreshed development team model
- Partnered with analytics team to develop performance metrics for portfolio performance
Executive Director, Oncology Project Management
As the Immuno-Oncology (I-O) R&D Operations Lead, led cross-functional R&D Operations deliverables to enable achievement of I-O objectives. Drove cross-matrix discussions and resolution of issues and strategic decisions including resource allocation, scheduling and funding at the program level. Surfaced organizationally complex issues (non-asset or multi-asset issues including cross-Early Development/Full Development asset issues) and fostered resolution.
- Facilitated the enhancement and articulation of an overall scientific I-O strategy. Contributed to the Immuno-Oncology strategy white paper defining the strategic roadmap for the company.
- Drove the successful delivery of project objectives across the oncology portfolio by ensuring effective stakeholder alignment and business engagement.
- Advised business leaders on organizational dynamics and portfolio risks and issues, providing strategic options to improve project execution and remove barriers to successful execution.
- Led a group of 13 experienced project managers focused on delivering 116 on-going studies, including 60 registrational studies, across 22 compounds
Provided project management oversight for the Oncology Portfolio. Responsible for monitoring project progress, issues and risks and reporting on these topics to senior management. Represented the Oncology Portfolio in multiple forums.
- Provided feedback and coaching to early Oncology project managers as well as Oncology Development Team leaders.
- Managed multiple governance teams, across multiple therapeutic areas, focused on exploratory portfolio strategy and operations. Provided portfolio insight on pipeline progression, issues and risk.
- Designed, implemented and managed new Oncology governance for management of the full development portfolio.
- Managed Oncology Strategy Team, contributing to the development of strategic options for the development of the oncology assets.
- Coached and mentored Oncology project managers towards delivering 14 new preclinical assets, 15 compounds entering clinical studies (First in Human), 33 registrational starts and 31 governance transition decisions.
Project Planning and Management
Project manager for multiple drug development assets ranging from pre-clinical/Ph 1 assets to a marketed product. Led a cross-functional team for the global regulatory submissions. Worked closely with Alliance management to establish a strong relationship with partners. Provided coaching and feedback for new team leads and team members.
- Managed the first filing for Japan using global data (Sprycel) and the first filing for Sprycel in China
- Manager for multiple Governance committees. Ensured clarity and transparency of governance body decisions. Facilitated communication with team leads and project managers.
- Managed the Medarex integration. Provided overall project management for the Integration Management Office. Managed risks, issues, and cross team dependencies ensuring a smooth transition of Medarex work to BMS and the closeout of integration activities.
Member of the R&D Operations Senior Leadership Team. Responsible for working with senior management to deliver capabilities to further optimize R&D Operations.
- Collaborated with business partners, responsible for the strategic growth of the Planning and Resource Management capability. Led matrix teams to deliver enhancements and new capabilities for Planning and Resource Management.
- Delivered the R&D Staffing Database - a system used to track all R&D workers globally (employees, contractors, and requisitions), enabling clear visibility to headcount and resource supply. Led a cross functional team to establish R&D level processes while ensuring divisional processes were not disrupted.
Director of Cheminformatics
Lexicon Pharmaceuticals / Princeton, NJ
Directed cheminformatics application support group and scientific software development group. Established computational chemistry capabilities. Set standards for data management and ensured users' issues are resolved quickly. Set priorities and ensured that developed software met the needs of the scientists.
- Developed and managed the software capability portfolio for drug discovery applications. Collaborated with senior management to determine priorities for software development projects, maintaining alignment with key business goals.
- Key contact for all drug discovery data management activities with external partners and key participant in the improvement/development of business processes.
Scientific Support Manager, Discovery Informatics
Bristol-Myers Squibb / Princeton, NJ
Manager of Scientific Application Support Group. Responsible for managing support for scientific applications on four major sites. Responsible for managing and developing support staff.
Oncology Drug Discovery
Responsible for biochemical characterization and mechanism of action studies of lead compounds.
VA Medical Center / Durham, NC
Biology and Mathematics DePauw University
BA, Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Biology and Mathematics DePauw University, Greencastle, IN
Cellular and Molecular Biology Duke University
MS, Research Area
MS, Cellular and Molecular Biology Duke University, Durham, NC
Research Area: Cloning of Beta-Adrenergic Receptors in the laboratory of Marc G. Caron