Job Details – this job has expired, please see similar jobs below
The Manager, Metadata & Taxonomy serves as the principal contact for the development and leadership of metadata strategy across the global DATG network and across TWDC when appropriate. Candidate also accepts responsibility for DATG media asset metadata oversight, including taxonomy and nomenclature.
The DATG Metadata Strategy should be directed toward global scope, sustainability and the flexibility to realize opportunities afforded by new technology innovations. The candidate will manage the metadata library resources and be able to federate responsibility for maintenance and standardization of metadata out to the various clients and extended family of the DATG global technology world.
The candidate will also manage the librarian functions within the metadata group and federated across the wider organization; specific responsibilities include:
-Cataloging and indexing procedures
-Business nomenclatures and vocabularies for media products / brands
-General application of metadata taxonomy and ontology construction
Finally, the candidate has a role in contributing to the general business intelligence strategy across DATG as it relates to defining metadata in ways to best organize information and prepare it for maximum value contribution to DATG executive management. In that respect, the candidate should understand the business of television, be able to easily navigate corporate structure and applicable BU’s, and understand how to influence and recommend implementation of metadata strategy as it relates to BU’s outside of the most common users of the current metadata systems (Global Technology Organization and International).
Responsibilities • Own DATG Metadata Strategy responsibility – development, socialization, maintenance and governance
• Manage the metadata service team, including direct reports, but also develop and manage federated metadata resources manifesting in dotted line relationships across the organization
• Understand the DATG business as a whole and incorporate the needs from Operations, Digital Media, Strategy, Sales, Creative Development, Marketing and Production into the company wide metadata capture, standards, nomenclature, systems, measurement, storage and distribution strategy.
• Maintain the metadata nomenclature systems and collaborate with their technology owners, as well as managing the interfaces between internal Disney systems and workflows, and interoperability between DATG, its external business partners and their systems.
• Research, identify, and act on opportunities to optimize efficient use of metadata across TWDC as well as formalize policy towards alignment, convergence and integration of metadata-based workflows.
• Facilitate alignment between media segments and their systems in ensuring the capture, flow, and availability of metadata, both in anticipation of future states, and in holding teams accountable for proper implementation of the standards frameworks and tools created for/adopted by Disney
• Guide, expand, and maintain a comprehensive corporate taxonomy and metadata schemas for DATG as well as providing guidance to various segment media collections or other TWDC media collections on compatible thesauri and ontology construction.
• Collaborate in metadata advocacy at relevant industry associations and organizations
Basic Qualifications • 7-10 years of experience in information architecture, knowledge and/or content management, library, or other collection related disciplines.
• Ability to manage people, in particular operational resources that directly report to the candidate, as well as indirectly manage resources across operational teams that have dotted line responsibilities to conform and abide by standards, nomenclature, and taxonomy.
• Familiar with current concepts, practices, and trends in media asset management, digital asset management, search engines/portals, database and data modeling structures, various ontologies, and current Internet standards developments in Web 2.0, etc.
• Experience developing controlled vocabularies, thesaurus construction and maintenance, and creating and reconciling metadata models or schemas.
• Ability to collaborate with business stakeholders and facilitate diverse, global business needs with active participation and group consensus.
• Possess very strong communication skills, written and verbal, with the ability to communicate sophisticated metadata and ontology concepts to audiences of all levels. Ability to synthesize complex technical concepts, protocols and standards, and communicate them into meaningful business activities and/or priorities.
Required Education • Possess an advanced degree in Library Science, Museum Studies, Linguistics, or equivalent knowledge management experience.
Job Posting Industries Television
Additional Information The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sign up and search through 21,640 curated jobs in the Entertainment & Media Edition: