- w www.summerlopez.com
I am an educator who is passionate about building student resilience and emotional intelligence as part of their academic pursuits. I am inspired by, and focused on, expeditionary learning pedagogy as a means of closing the achievement gap for all students. I connect my teaching practice to real-world skills learned from wilderness exploration, specifically my mountaineering experience in the High Sierra as a climber and four-season backcountry trekker.
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA | B.A. Cinema-Television
Los Angeles, CA | 2002 – 2004
- Awarded Stephen Gentry Scholarship for writing achievement.
- Selected as Top 10 Coca-Cola Refreshing Filmmaker
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ | Women's Studies
Santa Cruz, CA | 1991 – 1993
- Evening News Reporter, KZSC 88.1 FM Pacifica Public Radio Affiliate
LOS GATOS HIGH SCHOOL | Honors
Los Gatos, CA | 1988 – 1991
- Editor In Chief, El Gato Student Newspaper
- Editor in Chief, Sassy Magazine Reader-Produced Issue
Washoe County School District | Present | Incline Village, NV
Tahoe-Truckee Unified School District | Present | Truckee, CA
Los Gatos Union School District | 2016 – 2017 | Los Gatos, CA
Instructing K-12 students according to Common Core and other state/local requirements. Providing effective classroom/student management and clear instruction using conscious discipline techniques. Addressing and adapting the various learning styles of students accordingly.
OUTDOOR & PHYSICAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
Washoe County School District | 2018 | Incline Village, NV
Designed outdoor education units and lesson plans focusing on ecology and exploration of Tahoe Basin. Drew upon place-based and open school pedagogies to implement integrated learning experiences. Created a positive environment where students felt safe to push their comfort zones and confront obstacles.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION SPECIALIST
Los Gatos Union School District | 2017 – 2018 | Los Gatos, CA
Instructed K-5 classes built on the SPARK curriculum with a focus on modifying lesson plans for Special Day Classes. Implemented asset-building character model as both educator and parent, promoting authenticity and citizenship. Explored experiential learning practices related to physical education.
WRITING MENTOR & WORKSHOP LEADER
Private Clients | 2016 – 2018 | Palo Alto, CA
Mentored K-5 students one-on-one and in a workshop setting to empower them to realize short and long term goals in creative expression. Supported ELA fundamentals, trained students in sprint technique, facilitated rapid ideation and iteration. Structured mentorship based on the talent of individuals/teams.
- Developing place-based, outdoor education curriculum in Lake Tahoe Basin.
- Adapting open school principles for K-5 public school.
- Constructing lesson plans from SEL physical education programs SPARK and PlayWorks.
- Modifying indoor/outdoor class activities for students with a range of abilities/needs.
- Supporting ESL and language immersion students to meet Common Core standards.
- Serving a community of faculty, students, and families in fluent Spanish.
EDUCATOR LICENSE | STANDARD SUBSTITUTE | 2023
Nevada Department of Education
SUBSTITUTE TEACHING PERMIT | 30 DAY | 2020
California Office of Education
WILDERNESS FIRST AID & CPR
Sierra Rescue International | Completion May 2019
WILDERNESS FIRST RESPONDER
Sierra Nevada College | Completion December 2020
TEACHING TOLERANCE | SPLC | 2017 – Present
Anti-bias approach to education and Social Justice Standards.
PROJECT CORNERSTONE | YMCA of Silicon Valley | 2017 – 2018
Youth asset-building and community partnership.
WRITER | EDITOR | STRATEGIST
Freelance Consultant | 2014 – Present | Remote
- MAV Canadian Transport
- Tractor Studios
WRITER & PRODUCER
Independent Filmmaker | 2005 – 2015 | Los Angeles, CA
- "West Bank Story" (Film)
- "Pretty Dead Girl" (Film)
- "Featuring Wayne" (Film)
- "Survivor," "The Amazing Race" (Digital)
- "The Hunger Games" (Digital)
- "Redux" (Film)
- "Eddie and Arrow" (Film)
- "Dirty Laundry" (Film)