Job Details – this job has expired, please see similar jobs below
JOB TITLE: Special Education Teacher
REPORTS TO: School Leader
DUTY SCHEDULE: 10 - Month
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Special Education Teacher will:
1. Teach students receiving Special Education services by:
1. Consistently using research-based practices in a productive, collaborative, and inviting learning environment challenging all Students with disabilities to achieve high levels of learning
2. Effectively communicating learning expectations using both language of the standards and researched-based strategies that engage Students in learning.
3. Consistently demonstrating high expectations for all Students with disabilities, including the expectation that students will take responsibility for their own learning and behavior.
4. Using accessible instructive or assistive technology effectively to enhance the learning of Students with disabilities.
5. Specializing instruction to meet the cognitive and developmental levels, processing strengths and weaknesses, learning styles, and interests of Students with disabilities.
6. Delivering instruction to Students with disabilities which fosters the development of higher-order thinking/reasoning skills.
7. Establishing classroom rules, practices, and procedures that support a positive, productive learning environment that maximizes instructional time in the small group classroom or in inclusive general education environment.
1. Assess students and utilize assessments to create specialized instruction that fosters continuous improvement for students with disabilities.
1. Use formative assessment strategies to monitor student performance and progress on IEP goals and objectives and to adjust instruction in order to maximize student achievement on KHPS and TEA-approved curriculum and to measure mastery of IEP goals and objectives for Students with disabilities.
2. Use diagnostic assessment strategies to identify individual and class strengths, misconceptions, and areas of weakness and to specialize instruction in order to maximize achievement of Students with disabilities on KHPS and TEA-approved curriculum and to measure mastery of IEP goals and objectives for Students with disabilities.
3. Use a variety of summative strategies to evaluate Student status and to specialize instruction in order to and to measure mastery of IEP goals and objectives for Students with disabilities.
1. Collaborate with general education teachers to plan appropriate instruction for students with disabilities.
1. Develops an organizing framework for specialized instructional planning through collaboration with general education and/or related service providers.
2. Collaborates with general education teacher and/or related services providers in planning
1. specialized instruction that reflects knowledge of both content and effective instructional delivery.
2. accommodating assessments to measure student progress towards achieving mastery of IEP goals and objectives and KHPS expectations.
3. for the appropriate delivery of specialized instruction through flexible grouping or in small group class.
1. Facilitate the ARD committee process by:
1. Meeting KHPS, state and federal guidelines for students being considered for and/or in Special education.
2. Ensuring that ARD committee meetings are scheduled at mutually agreeable times with parents and school personnel, giving notice through written and oral communication, meeting all timeline requirements
3. Gathering necessary data regarding individual students, such as grades, attendance, and disciplinary reports for ARD committee meetings.
4. Completing all necessary ARD/IEP paperwork.
5. Facilitating ARD committee meetings.
6. Ensuring that all personnel and related service providers are supplied with necessary and appropriate data upon completion of ARD paperwork.
7. Assisting parents and school personnel regarding Special Education issues
1. Lead SPED services on campus and serve as the liaison between campus and the regional Student Support Services team.
1. Assist in the coordination, planning, and delivery of professional development to meet identified needs of general education teachers.
2. Continually increase knowledge in special education law, disabilities, teaching strategies, response to intervention, and special education procedures
3. Be an active participant in the regional Special Education team and attend monthly meetings
4. Establish and maintain professional relationships with colleagues, students, parents, and community members
5. As appropriate, supervise the work of Special Education paraprofessionals by providing direction and guidance
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Knowledge:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a focus on Education, plus a minimum of 1-5 years of teaching experience
Texas Teaching certificate in Special Education
Qualified in accordance with the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015
Maximize literacy learning among students;
Implement positive behavior supports (for students with challenges functioning in traditional settings)
Ability to teach students with significant disabilities
Work efficiently, effectively and respectfully with teachers and leadership
Use technology to support access to the general curriculum, participation, and learning
Be able to help school teams implement effective practices for diverse learners in general education classrooms.
Skills needed for success:
Passionate and loving attitude toward all children
Ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities
Independent, self-starter with a strong focus on student development
Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process, implementation, and progress monitoring
General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Behavior management skills
Experience using assistive technology software
Experience collaborating with team members
Excellent interpersonal skills
Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making
Proven written and verbal communication skills
Strong organizational and planning skills
Responsiveness; Follow-up and follow-through with Students, families, and faculty members is essential
Sign up and search through 61,577 curated jobs in the Education Edition: