Job Details – this job has expired, please see similar jobs below
Position requires a valid Texas ESL teaching certificate in the subject and level of assignment. In addition, individuals in core academic subject areas must meet teacher requirements.
This position requires the ability to apply knowledge of current education and instructional theories, methodologies, techniques, principles, subject matter, and knowledge of State, local, and Federal laws and regulations affecting the lives and education of students. Incumbent must have an understanding of child and adolescent development and have the skills to manage student behavior. Incumbent must have the ability to communicate effectively using a variety of media, work with others as a team, organize and maintain records, manage time and resources effectively and efficiently, and evaluate performance and provide constructive feedback. This position requires the ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Incumbent is responsible for planning, organizing, and presenting instructional lessons contributing to educational, social, and physical development of students to enhance their self-worth and equip them with the basic knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to function in society. Considerable judgment, tact, patience, sensitivity, and flexibility are required to interact with students from varied socioeconomic backgrounds and learning styles. This position requires creativity and adaptive thinking to match teaching objectives, learning strategies, and instructional plans with students’ abilities. Judgment is required to interpret broad State, local, and Federal laws, regulations, and policies affecting the lives and education of students and the impact of the laws on instructional methodologies or techniques employed.
◦ Plan lessons, including activities that reflect accommodations for differences in student learning styles, such as preparing learning objectives and goals, designing tests or exams, studying material, setting up labs, and preparing exams for English Language Learners, including immigrant children and youth.
◦ Provide intensified instruction to English Language Learners and immigrant children and youth as a class, individually, or in groups utilizing sheltered instruction methods to ensure they attain English proficiency, develop high levels of academic attainment in English, and meet State academic content standards.
◦ Provide tutorials for English Language Learners.
◦ Conduct assessment for diagnostic and progress monitoring purposes.
◦ Evaluate academic performance for English Language Learners, including immigrant children and youth.
◦ Maintain records and document student progress for English Language Learners, including immigrant children and youth (e.g., record grades and absences, provide progress reports, etc.)
◦ Perform all duties pertaining to area of expertise as required (e.g., ESL, literacy/bi-literacy, early childhood, language, music, physical education, vocational training, safety, and career education).
◦ Maintain contact with parents of English Language Learners, including immigrant children and youth in regards to student performance through activities such as parent-teacher conferences, frequent home communication, parent outreach activities, family literacy activities, and special meetings.
◦ Collaborate with RTI interventionist to enhance targeted intervention support for English Language Learners, including immigrant children to improve literacy skills.
◦ Integrate educational technology into the curricula and educational program to strengthen the teaching/learning process for English Language Learners.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Services are generally provided within a standard classroom environment. Some movement throughout the classroom is generally necessary to facilitate learning (e.g., standing, walking, stooping, bending, sitting, and/or kneeling). Light lifting of materials and other objects associated with a classroom environment is required (e.g., books, teaching aids, up to approximately 20 – 40 lbs.). Special Education teachers may also be required to pick up students, restrain students as needed, and spend large quantities of time on the floor sitting, squatting, and/or kneeling. Incumbent must maintain emotional control under stress and be able to work with frequent interruptions. Computer use is required, and prolonged use may result in repetitive hand motion. This position may involve frequent exposure to temperature extremes (hot and cold), humidity extremes, noise, and low or intense illumination vibration. It is expected that occasional field trips, district wide, and statewide travel may be made. Incumbent should be willing to contribute directly or indirectly to the development of children both inside and outside the classroom, which may include working hours in addition to the regular school day. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Incumbent receives administrative supervision and is typically evaluated about three times per year. It is expected that less experienced incumbents will receive additional guidance on instructional matters and that those with more experience will serve as mentors, providing suggestions, guidance, and assistance as appropriate or necessary. It is expected that some incumbents will be more involved in planning and coordinating departmental activities. Supervisor may provide detailed instruction regarding changes in policies, procedures, or laws or in reference to unusual circumstances or problems. Incumbent has significant contact with students, parents, and other school staff to provide instruction, offer guidance, exchange information, and develop social skills of students. Incumbent may also maintain contacts within the community to enrich the content of materials and utilize additional instructional methodologies (e.g., take field trips, invite guest speakers).
Duty Days: 187
Pay Grade: P6
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount Program
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Sign up and search through 52,412 curated jobs in the Education Edition: