Job Details – this job has expired, please see similar jobs below
TheAdministrative Assistant 2 provides administrative support to the COVID-19 Public Health Laboratory (PHL) Testing Manager as well as providing staff support services to the entire PHL COVID-19 testing branch.
To assure the objectives and goals of the PHL are met as well as the needs and goals of public health, the PHL needs to run as effectively and smoothly as possible. In achieving this, the position is to apply quality improvement tools to improve efficiency, accuracy, and overall quality.
This recruitment is for a project Administrative Assistant 2 position. It is currently funded through October 31, 2021.
About the Department of Health
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions, and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies.
Benefits of Working for DOH
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and provides one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation.
Shoreline boasts a unique history and character derived from original settlements dating back to the late 1800s. The quality that drew early settlers to the area remains dominant to this day: location. The City of Shoreline offers classic Puget Sound beauty and the convenience of suburban living with the attractions of nearby urban opportunities. The community has developed a reputation for strong neighborhoods, excellent schools, and abundant parks.
A healthy life/work balance by offering flexible schedules and telework options for many positions.
Growth and development opportunities.
A wellness program that offers education, access to healthy food, and fitness classes.
Opportunities to serve your community through meaningful work.
A commitment to diversity and inclusion by fostering an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work.
An Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding.
A modernized workplace.
• Preparing, reviewing, or edit the correspondence or other documents for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with rules before distribution of final products.
• Generating Human Resources paperwork for personnel actions. Working with new employees to complete the necessary training, orientation checklist, and facilitate employee inquiries.
• Coordinating office payroll activities, processing overtime or standby requests, positive time and attendance records, and assisting staff with leave requests.
• Completing in-state and out-of-state travel and training documents and assisting staff in completing travel reimbursement requests.
• Preparing and logging procurement requests for office supplies, print jobs, vendor payments, maintenance and service agreements, journals and periodicals, and other purchases.
• Scheduling and assisting with meeting preparations; making room reservations and notifying attendees.
• Maintaining staff organizational charts, phone list, and work schedules. Updating and maintaining office procedures, standards, priorities and adhere to deadlines.
• Serving as a central point of contact for communication between staff, supervisors, and the COVID-19 testing manager regarding work assignments and established deadlines.
What we’re looking for
Success in this position requires one to be a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, bringing humility to their job and people interactions, and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
• Three (3) or more years of progressively responsible experience providing broad-spectrum office administrative and/or secretarial support.
• One (1) or more years of experience compiling, formatting, editing, and proofreading complex documents intended for external and internal distribution.
• One (1) or more years of experience effectively using independent judgment to resolve complex issues and problems, and prioritize work and meet deadlines.
• Three (3) or more years of experience working successfully within a team that shares work responsibilities and helps each other to achieve goals and deliverables.
Demonstrated experience in the following:
• Effectively communicate with diverse audiences orally and in writing.
• Intermediate-level experience using MS Word to create, format, and edit tables, columns, and charts; import data and sort table data; insert and format sections; and create headers and footers.
• Intermediate-level experience using MS Excel to create and manipulate large or complex spreadsheets; use complex mathematical formulas to calculate data and link worksheets; import data from other sources, filter lists and create and format charts and graphs.
• Using MS Outlook to compose, send, and respond to e-mail and to coordinate schedules and schedule meetings.
• An Associate’s degree or higher.
• One (1) or more years of experience as an Administrative Assistant 1.
Demonstrated experience in the following:
• Working with state travel and reimbursement policy and procedures.
• Experience working in a laboratory environment.
• Working with state procurement and supply ordering.
• Working with a wide variety of governmental entities and community groups.
• Experience and/or knowledge of the state and federal legislative process.
• Experience and/or knowledge of applying other state regulations (WACs) and laws (RCWs) and federal rules and guidelines.
• Using a database to accurately enter, update, and search data.
Intrigued? We’d love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
1. Aletter of interest, describing how you meet the specific required qualifications for this position.
2. A currentresume.
3. Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
Important Note: Do not attach documents that contain private information (social security number, date of birth, transcripts, etc.) or documents that are password protected. These documents will not be reviewed and may cause errors within your application when downloaded. Veterans, please feel free to attach a copy of your redacted DD214.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without accommodation, I am willing and able to:
• Legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
• Occasionally work in excess of 40 hours per week and/or to adjust normally scheduled hours, which may include evening and weekends.
• Occasionally travel statewide to attend meetings which may include overnight stays and evening work.
• The duty station for this position is Shoreline, WA. As this position supports laboratory functions, an in person presence is required with only limited opportunities for remote work. An alternative work schedule may be considered upon request and supervisor approval. Telework – once returned to the duty station for work activities, may be considered upon request with supervisory approval.
• Work within close proximity to laboratory spaces where hazardous chemicals are used.
If you have questions, need alternative formats or other assistance please contact Skyler Jones at (360) 236-4408, ___@___(apply_to_show_email), or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 711 (Washington Relay). Technical support is provided by NEOGOV, 855-524-5627 (can’t log in, password or email issues, error messages).
SUBSCRIBE to DOH Job Alerts
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification within the agency.
Sign up and search through 91,280 curated jobs in the Diverse Edition: