Humans are mobile animals. When you’re stuck on your behind at the 9-5, it becomes harder and harder to make it to the gym and work out. Today, the modern world is constructed to keep you sitting down. When we drive, we sit. When we work at an office, we sit. When we watch TV...well, you get the picture. As our bodies age, things tend to widen and spread with time. Nothing’s worse than knowing your hips are two sizes bigger than they used to be. Welcome to the “secretary spread”.
Yet, a new concept currently being studied at the Annals of Internal Medicine found that this kind of sedentary behavior increases our chances of getting a disease or a condition that will kill us prematurely. This can happen regardless if we exercise! If you can’t get up every hour for a 5-minute walk or head to the gym after working out, we suggest this 10-minute high cardio work out. Take the 10 minutes for yourself…you’ll be glad you did!
10 Minute Fat Blasting Workout
- 30 seconds of Burpees
- With the movement of full chest-to-ground-move explosively, power through your hips. Find a cadence and try to keep the speed the same or find a way to heighten your movements with more urgency for more calories burned. If full burpees are not your style, walk or jump the feet back to a high plank jump or walk them back up and jump to celebrate at the top. This movement not only brings your heart rate up, but works on moving your body in tight exercise motions that work different core areas. View the tutorial video here.
- 1 minute of Jumping Jacks. This exercise focuses on strong and fluid movement while focusing on the precision. Once you move the body all at once in lines and rhythmically, you will be in sync.
- 30 seconds of Bowlegged Sit-Ups. Bring your feet into a butterfly position, sit all the way up and lay all the way back arms overhead. Move explosively through the hips each repetition and get as many reps as you can. Your abdomen area is also known as your core. Besides not wanting a flabby tummy, a tight core makes you healthier overall.
[REPEAT this circuit 4 times for a grand total of 8 minutes]
After your 8 minutes of circuit training, cool off with a slow burn:
- 1 minute Plank hold. Remember, FEEL THE BURN. Whether timing with your iphone or counting the seconds out loud, remember if it’s painful, it’s working!
- 20 seconds of Squat Jumps 10 seconds. Rest. Do It Again. Tighten those glutes!